CLIFTON PROGRESS ASSOCIATION
Situated 50kms from Toowoomba or Warwick, is the second oldest working station in Queensland – Grandchester being the first. In 1869 the Southern Line to Clifton was declared open by Gov. Blackall, thus allowing settlement on the fertile Darling Downs.
1928/9 Clifton was called the “Million Bushels of Wheat District”. This wheat harvest produced one million bushels in this season – unheard of, a record!!! All of this grain was despatched from Clifton station.
Come 1957 the rail site had a telephone connection, weighbridges, cattle, sheep and pig yards; 5 grain sheds, signal cabin, overhead bridge; cranes; shelter/cream/goods shed; with loops to the flour mill, butter factory, fuel depot, trucking yards, grain sheds.Write comment (0 Comments)